Latest Stories

Akshay Kumar looks focused and calm. Yet hungry. After many years of comedy he is getting back to action films. And the buzz around him is huge. Five of his films in 2007 were superhits; together his films this year have grossed more than Rs 500 crore. Akshay is a superstar but his spartan way of life - no smoking or drinking - is legendary. During a recent shoot in Australia he ran up and down 80 stories of a hotel . His personal trainer, the 6 ft 1 inch Jenny, travels with him to all shoots. Akshay is a real action star in a make believe world. Alongside Shah Rukh, 41-yearold Akshay is the only top star whose origins are from outside the film industry. Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia's journey from Delhi's Chandni Chowk to become Akshay Kumar is well known. Educated at Don Bosco and Khalsa College, off to Bangkok at 16, struggles as a waiter and travel agent before being spotted for Deedar. The rest, including Khiladi stardom and marriage to Twinkle Khanna is the stuff of movies. And that's exactly what he's doing next: converting his real life story to celluloid in From Chandni Chowk to China, directed by Nikhil Advani.


You look damn cool, Akshay. Are you feeling that way?

I think bald is in fashion! (laughs) I've just been maintaining myself, so that I can do some action movies this year and the next. Also, I've been learning a different kind of art - parkour.

Is that what you are doing in your Thums Up ad?

Yes, but it's not about crossing obstacles. Parkour is about getting from point A to point B, as fast as you can using whatever is in your path as support. I'm very
impressed by parkour. I like the energy in it and the power, and the determination. I've made my own parkour gym to learn it.

Wow, can I see it?

No. I can't show it to anybody. It's basically an obstacle course. It's a gift to my son.

You seem very focused.

I don't want to be a director. I don't have any production companies. I have only one thing to work on and that's my acting. I listen to scripts. Anything you want to know about films, I know it. Any English film, I know it; any Hindi film, I know it. From Kanti Shah to Yash Chopra, I have seen them all. So, I have very little to focus on except my body and my work. If I was given a lot of things to think about, maybe I would lose it. I have been asked to become a producer many times. People have even approached me saying “You don't have to put up the money, we will put the money. You just become the producer.” I said, “I don't know,” because I want to live happily.

You are a rare star: a popular action hero who successfully switched to comedy.
No, even Mr Bachchan used to do it. He used to love action. To be honest, when I watched his action films I literally felt the punch. I still remember in Deewar, or Naseeb, when he punched, it seemed it was not just for the sake of hitting, you felt that he was really angry. But I would still say those were not action movies. Action is what Jackie Chan does, what Jet Li does, what I do.

That's the zone you are into?

That's the zone I have been into every time. I introduced martial arts into this industry. I started everything. I changed the parameters when it came to action. The leg splits, the proper kicks, karate goju kicks - I also got cables introduced into this industry in Aawara Pagal Deewana. Now I am introducing parkour. I like action because I belong there. Comedy is secondary. My first concern, my love, is action and I have always been an action star. My prayer is that in my films this year, I can manage to take action to the next level.

If your friends were to describe you in five words?

They know I am very reserved. I am a person who speaks very little, who enjoys his family company the most and I love watching comedy films.

Are you critical of your work?

To be honest, what happens is this. I sometimes feel that what I think is right is wrong, but the films have done very well. If I sit down and watch my films, I wonder whether they would have been bigger hits if I had done things differently. But perhaps it wouldn't have worked at all. There are a lot of things the common man likes which are beyond your comprehension. This is because a lot of people, people like me, believe in buying DVDs. These people won't spend 100 bucks to watch your film. An autorickshaw guy, taxi drivers, other common people have sensibilities which you can't challenge. Today, to be honest, it is beyond my understanding how a film like Phir Hera Pheri is running. Some bits, even I wasn't laughing, but it worked. Then I begin to feel that either my sense of humour has gone bad or that I have become very intelligent.

When you said that you don't miss any movie, you meant you watch them at the theatre?

Yes, I go to the theatre, to the multiplexes. Normally the last row is booked. I quietly watch the movie. The manager calls me up and tells me the seats are ready. This much advantage one should take from being a star. Just tell the manager to call you two minutes after the movie starts and we leave a couple of minutes before the movie ends.

Your next release, Tashan, is an action film right?

Yes, a little bit. It has entertainment, but real action would be Chandni Chowk to China.

The plot sounds like your life?

Yes, this is my story. It is my autobiography told in a very, very humorous way. It has got all the events of my life, my being a cook and a waiter, how believing in God and destiny changed my life… getting a chance to go to China and the whole thing. Maybe if the movie does well, I will get into the sequel - from China to Bollywood! (laughs).

Are you okay working with new directors?

I have only worked with new directors and my biggest hits have been with new directors. I like new directors because they are greedy. Greedy for good work and they are literally ready to starve to do good work.

And you like that energy ?

I like it because they have that hunger and once that hunger is gone, the fun is gone. Which happens a lot.

Has Akshay Kumar ever lost his hunger?

Not at all, I am forever hungry and constantly on the look to meet new and interesting people. That's why today I am working with Nagesh [Kukunoor], I wanted to see what it is like to work with him. His way of looking at things would be completely different from a David Dhawan film.

Does your life revolve around cinema, or is there a larger interest in politics, the country?

No, it's only cinema.

Do you read newspapers?

Yes, I do read newspapers everyday. I think everybody should try and think of the good they can do. I like to do things involving sports. I don't know if you read the newspapers today... you may have read that I have adopted five wrestlers. My father was a wrestler and wrestling is a dying sport in India.

Who are your favourite directors to work with?

Well, I like working with Mr Santoshi, Priyadarshan and Vipul Shah. One of my favourite writer, well, actually he is not even a writer... a friend of mine from whom I've learnt a lot is Neeraj Vora. He is the director of Phir Hera Pheri.

You've always been very selective about doing your ads.

I won't do ads for just anything though I get a lot of offers. I like to do ads I can identify with. That's important. I don't do any product just for the sake of earning money. When you endorse something it is serious business. People should take it very seriously because you are telling them to use that product.

I've heard you don't work on Sundays?

Yeah, I don't. Blanket ban. No chance. Unless the film gets permission to shoot at a specific location only on Sundays. Then the producer gives me the next day off. I take one day a week off. That's my son's day. We do whatever he wants. Sometimes he wants to go to the parkour gym, or eat pizza or watch a movie.

Have you been approached by Hollywood ever?

I have been approached a lot of times. Not for the kind of roles I want to do, though. It's great being a king here than being a pawn there. As I said, I like to work on my own terms. Like they say in Punjabi, Kedi kaali payin hain, araam naal chalo. [Whats the hurry, take your time.] I follow that policy. I am not averse to it but it has to be a good project. I am not going to let eighteen years of hard work go down the drain by doing a mediocre role or a small film.

If there was a genre you could pick in Hollywood would it be drama, comedy or action?

I don't think there is anything I can't do. From a negative role to romance to action, I can do anything. I have tried and I have been successful.

Was it a conscious shift from negative roles to comedy, ?

Yeah, I did it deliberately, because I got bored of people calling me an action hero. It's boring to keep on hearing that “Oh, if it's an action film, take him or oh, it's a romantic film, don't take him.” I tried to see if I can do something else and it was a kind of an eyeopener. But it was a difficult job to change my image because the media and the audience doesn't allow it to happen so quickly. You have to really convince them.

You have incredible comic timing on screen. It's amazing.

Thank you very much. I get it from Delhi chay [six]. You should meet Chandni Chowk guys, they are amazing. They come from a completely different zone. Their comic abilities, the way they speak Hindi, it's all really funny.

Where do you find your inner energy? In God or in yourself?

Well, I never speak about things to anyone. Whatever difficulties I have is within me. It's quite strange but that's how it is.